Thursday 30 May 2013

Day Zero Project: Buy a 50mm Lens

I quite enjoy taking photos and a couple of years ago I saved up and treated myself to a DSLR when I found that my little Canon compact wasn't letting me do all the things I wanted to do with it. I'm still learning how everything works on this super-duper fancy camera and there are lots of things that I still don't know how to do.

But that's one of the fun things about photography, you can look up a photo that you admire, investigate the settings used to achieve that effect and then imitate it yourself. That's how I ended up with this:


I'd seen a couple of other sparkle type photos and I figured out how to do it myself, which I was dead pleased about. When I got my tripod I used the same method of trial and error to figure out how to do the light writing and long exposure photos as well as to make my little stop-motion animation.

My Canon camera came with two lens, which I happily refer to as my standard lens and my long lens. They're both kit lenses and they do exactly what I need them to do at the moment, but I'd really like to get a 50mm lens because I love seeing what you can do with them, particularly portrait photography which is something I haven't done a great deal of so far.

I have kind of promised myself that I'll get one ready for when we actually have a baby so I can learn to use it when I have a little person that I can take lots of photos of. In the meantime it's not really an essential, but I've kind of already chosen which one I want and as soon as I win the lottery I'll order it for myself. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think. :-)