Tuesday 31 March 2015

Book 44 of 2014: The Christmas Catch by Ginny Baird

I did consider holding on to my Christmas book review posts until the end of the year so that they were at least in keeping with the season. But then I'd have to make more of an effort to remember what I'd posts and what I was still to post, so I decided to just go ahead with it. It's almost Easter, after all, so what better time to post Christmas book reviews?!


The Christmas Catch by Ginny Baird was a free ebook on Amazon. It's the story of a young widow, named Christine, who takes her son away for Christmas and unexpectedly finds herself falling in love with a local man. Meanwhile, John isn't looking for romance so is a bit surprised when he finds himself falling for Christine. But both of them know that after Christmas Christine will be going home, so perhaps this will nothing more than a brief holiday fling.

It's a very short ebook, clocking in somewhere around the 100 page mark. I could have read it in almost one sitting. It's the sort of book you could pick up and read on a cold winter's day by the fire. I started it on the 30th of October and finished it on the 1st of November, since November is traditionally when I start reading Christmas books. Last year I was ready for Christmas a little bit earlier than normal.

It was a light and fluffy little read. I knew from the beginning that Christine and John would end up together. I did like that their best friends, Ellen and Carlos, also wound up together. In a way it kind of reminded me of When Harry Met Sally.

I didn't really feel that the epilogue was particularly necessary. Things kind of rushed through at the end with the proposal. I would've been happier if they just agreed to date and then have the epilogue with the proposal. After deciding not to rush into a relationship it seemed weird that they would decide to get engaged just like that.

It always bugs me when stories end with 'Babies Ever After' so I could have done without that particular aspect of the ending, but as I said above, it was just fluffy. And sometimes that's all you need.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think. :-)