Thursday 31 March 2016

On my Needles

Allow me to introduce you to Bertie…


He doesn't look like much at the moment, does he? But in a little while he should look something like this:

Photo from Jean Greenhowe's website
I have spent the last three months in a bit of a knitting funk. Everything I seemed to start seemed to take me ages and slow projects suck the fun out of knitting for me so I kept on setting it aside and occupying my time with other things.

Then when we went to Ayr I picked up Jean Greenhowe's Red Nose Gang booklet and I was reminded of how much I like Jean's patterns. They're so simple but the effects are great. No fiddly knitting in the round, no complicated design techniques, just the basics and it always works so well.

And the clowns in this pattern book aren't particularly creepy looking either. As I flicked through the book I couldn't help but think that one of the clowns would make a nice little gift for my Father-in-Law. I knitted a Grandma Humpty Dumpty for my Mum-in-Law several years ago and have been meaning to make something he would appreciate ever since.

And I think Bertie Bloomer fits the bill. And I have all the colours I need.

And he's knitting up so quickly.


I can't wait to finish him off.

6 comments:

  1. I think he looks lovely and I'm not a great clown fan so I think that says it all :) Special Teaching at Pempi’s Palace a Stormy’s Sidekick minion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. He's coming along well. He almost has a head now. ;-)

      Delete
  2. "No fiddly knitting in the round"? Knitting in the round is fiddly? I prefer it to having to seam up sides. But that's just me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't get on with DPNs and Magic Loop with 18 stitches is a little time consuming, having to keep stopping to slide the stitches around the cable. It'd probably be quicker if I could get to grips with the double-pointed needles.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. I hope so. I'll just have to go steady with my embroidery. ;-)

      Delete

Let me know what you think. :-)