Friday 5 September 2014

Chapter-by-Chapter: The Austere Academy

I can’t believe we’re onto the fifth book of the Series of Unfortunate Events books. Well, actually I can. I’ve been reading the books after all and I remember reading and blogging about every book up until this point so it stands to reason that we should have come to book number five, The Austere Academy, by now. I guess that ‘I can’t believe’ is more of a figure of speech than an actual expression of disbelief.

I’m waffling, aren’t I? I’ll move on.


As I’ve probably proven, I don’t seem to remember as much about these books as I should so it’ll be interesting to read what happens here.

We’ll start with the cover. Once again it’s got the thorny tangle down the spine, this time in green. It’s quite a nice colour actually. About the same shade as the eleventh book. Green is my favourite colour. Along the edge of this design is another pattern, as usual. I thought it was scrolls or sheets of paper at first but it appears to be a tape measure, kind of folded back and forth against itself. I have no idea what a tape measure has to do with this story so we’ll see whether I’m right or if it’s something else.

The picture on the cover features a girl who looks like a cross between Draco Malfoy and Ginny Weasley. She’s got a fork in her hand and a tray with milk and bowl in front of her. The boy beside her is leaned over a bowl and appears to be eating spaghetti without using any cutlery.

Actually I think I remember a little something about punishments at this school. Something about not being allowed to use cutlery if they’ve been bad. He’s obviously been bad.

In the background are the Baudelaires holding their lunch trays, and in Violet’s case Sunny. They’re looking back at the ginger haired girl and I’m guessing she’s frowning because of them. I know there is a girl in this book who keeps calling them names but I don’t remember her name.

The last book reminded me that the trio end up living in a shack, possibly because they’re orphans, and they also finally make friends as well. There are two children who are two-thirds of a set of triplets. I don’t remember their names or anything. Crabs come into it somewhere, as does a coach who wears a turban.


And that’s all I’ve got. I’ll start reviewing it next Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think. :-)