Sunday 10 August 2014

What's on my needles?

It's been a while since I posted a knitting update, so I thought it was about time to share.

I've mentioned before that I don't often wear matching socks. I recently found an 'Odd Socks' group on Ravelry so decided that the time had come to knit myself some very odd socks.

The last sock I knitted.
I made my first pair of handknit socks last year following the pattern in the Harry Potter inspired Charmed Knits which has a wonderfully easy to follow sock pattern. Rather than doing them in the house colours as suggested I did them in black with rainbow stripes. They're easily the warmest socks I own and have been debating making more for myself or Mr Click for some time now.

Well, the Odd Socks group inspired me to go ahead and start knitting some new ones. I'm using the rainbow variegated yarn in the above picture for the whole sock (and hopefully the second one if I have enough at the end). For the first sock I'm using the Harry's sock pattern which is basically the sock Harry uses to free Dobby in the film of Chamber of Secrets, except mine is clown barf rather than black/grey.

I'm planning on making the second sock to a different pattern, something in plain stockinette but hopefully in the same yarn. I wanted something that would be simple to knit whilst travelling and now I've got the hang of Magic Loop I figured they would be the perfect project.

Check back to see how I get on with my crazy odd socks of oddness.

2 comments:

  1. Those are beautiful socks! I've never tried knitting socks but it would be awesome to learn how. All the patterns I look at seem so hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's just a question of finding the right pattern. I use the sock patterns in the Harry Potter Charmed Knits book. They're quite easy once you get the hang of them, the most difficult bit is the heel, but if you follow the instructions it's not too bad.

      I just jumped in and that's how I made the pair in the picture. :-)

      Delete

Let me know what you think. :-)