Thursday 5 May 2016

Bertie Bloomer: Feeling Stuffed

When I started out knitting Bertie Bloomer I knew he was going to be one of Jean Greenhowe's taller toys, but I don't think I was prepared for just how large he was going to be!

I don't know why I was so surprised. I mean, I've seen other completed Red Nose Gang members in real life and they're not exactly small, but when it came to stuffing Bertie I just couldn't get over how much he grew.


Of course, I put off sewing him up for as long as was humanly possible. Because that's what I do when I knit. I knit and then I avoid all the finishing up until there's no escape, then I find that it doesn't take as long as I thought it would, or that it's not as bad as I was expecting.

So once he was all seamed, invisibly (I hasten to add) with all his stripes lined up perfectly (just because I put off sewing up, doesn't mean that I'm not good at it). It was time to stuff him. Boy did that seem like a job that would never end!

I used the remains of a bag of stuffing and didn't even make a dent to stuffing his head, then I used around half a bag for the rest of him, trying to get that perfect balance of firm enough to stand up and soft enough to squish. Luckily his recipient is an adult so he'll mostly be standing with very little squishing going on.


So now I'm onto his feet, and even those are looking to be rather large. He should look spectacular when he's done though, and that's the main thing!

2 comments:

  1. You're good at the sewing? That's great. I've never been all that great at seaming, which is why I stick to seamless projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've really mastered mattress stitch and now I rarely use anything but for seaming. I enjoy seamless projects but I find knitting in the round even more tedious than miles of stockinette and since I don't use DPNs it can get a bit fiddly if you're magic looping something small. ;-)

      Delete

Let me know what you think. :-)