Monday 3 December 2012

Christmas Countdown: Baby, It's Cold Outside

This one is less of a Christmas song and more of a general winter/cold weather sort of song. It's one of those songs I like because you can kind of get away with playing it whenever you feel like it, not necessarily just during December.


 
This particular version is cool because it's an inversion on the traditional format with the girl trying to get away and the guy encouraging her to stay. In the original score the parts are written for the 'wolf' and the 'mouse'; in this version Zooey Deschanel takes the 'wolf' part and M. Ward is the 'mouse'.
 
It completely changes the dynamic of the song for me; I normally hear a pushy man with a reluctant girl, whereas this version the reluctant party comes across as sort of uptight when the girl is throwing herself at him. I'm sure that says something about me and perceptions of masculine and feminine stereotypes, but it's interesting, and a catchy song to boot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think. :-)