Wednesday 27 February 2013

A Quick Statistical Interlude

I'd planned a post about War Horse today, but I couldn't let a little milestone like 10,000 pageviews pass without comment. From Sunday I knew it was coming, and I knew it was going to happen this week, but I couldn't be entirely sure exactly when it would happen, which led to a little bit of obsessive compulsive checking of my blog stats at the beginning part of the week.

Just over 10,000 pageviews
I've mentioned before how much I enjoy checking my blog stats, it's interesting to see what people have been looking at (and what search terms have been bringing people to my little blog).

It's also interesting to see how my pageviews change over time:
Pageviews to date (as of 26/02/13)
December always seems to see a bit of a spike in page views due to my Christmas film review posts I did a couple of years ago. My most view post to date is my book review for A Game of Thrones which has had over 1,500 views, the next most popular posts are both Christmas film reviews (with 500 and 425 pageviews respectively). Most of my popular posts are from 2011 but there's a couple from last year and one from this year which are sneaking up the listings which I'm pleased about.

From what I can tell, most people find my blog via various combinations of 'the/der Grinch' or 'game of thrones'. I've had some pretty interesting search terms in the past though, my favourite being 'men having a wee'. I'm not sure which disturbs me most; the fact that someone actually wanted to search for that, or the fact that my blog was one of the pages listed as the result for that term!

I'm curious to see how my blog statistics change over time, it's always interesting to watch the little spikes and see what's causing them. I'm fairly certain that the recent increase in traffic is largely due to my signing up for the A to Z Challenge because it's exposed me to a bunch of new blogs, several of which have followed me back in return. I'm wondering if my A to Z Challenge posts will help to change the search terms that are bringing people here.

Anyway, thanks for stopping by and checking out the place, hopefully you've seen something you like and will be coming back in the future. Here's to the next 10,000 pageviews. ;-)

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!

    That's funny about "men having a wee". I'll have to check my stats. This could be something fun to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting seeing how the search terms taking people to your blog change over time depending on what you're posting about. :-)

      Delete
  2. Congratulations!
    I too have seen a bit of an increase in page views and I think you're right, it's most likely due A to Z challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. :-)

      I think the A to Z Challenge is definitely a good way to find new blogs and get a little more traffic to your own.

      Delete
  3. Hi,
    I nominated you for the Liebster Award over on my blog.
    = )
    Jai

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I got it a little while ago, but I'll definitely take part in it again. :-)

      Delete

Let me know what you think. :-)