Friday 12 June 2015

Chapter-by-Chapter: Twilight, Chapter 10

Once again I'm posting this from my phone, hence the complete lack of pictures. I promise that I am now back on top of stuff though, so from here on out everything should be back to normal… unless I fall behind. Let's just say I won't make too many promises for the next couple of weeks.

So earlier today we read Chapter Nine of Twilight, titled Theory, and saw Bella getting a lift home with Edward. She got some answers and I concluded that Edward clearly has an antisocial personality disorder. It was a good chapter.

Next up is Chapter Ten: Interrogations.

What Happens?

Bella gets a ride to school with Edward and they spend some time together. This means that everyone knows they're an item. Edward reads Jessica's mind to find out how Bella feels about him. Then they have lunch together so Bella gets to learn more about Edward's eating habits and Edward can get moody again.

Thoughts as I read:

This chapter is called 'Interrogations' which kind of threw me for a minute because I thought that was sort of what Bella did to Edward in the last chapter. There were a lot of questions in Chapter Nine. Does this mean that we're going to get more questions and answers? I bet it all happens at lunch time.

True to form, this chapter begins with Bella waking up. Did nobody ever explain the concept of in media res to Stephenie Meyer?

I dressed in my heavy clothes, remembering I didn't have a jacket. Further proof that my memory was real.

Translation: Bella knows that she is delusional and has to look out for subtle clues to help her be aware of what is real and what isn't.

I'm also slightly bothered by the description of Bella being halfway down the driveway before realising there's a car 'in it'. I get what this means and I'm sure it's correct English, but I can't help but picture Edward's car being sort of sunken into the driveway rather than being parked on it. And yeah, the car is Edward's, because what he meant when he warned her to stay away was 'except when I come and pick you up'.

We're reminded of Edward's Super Speed Skillz™ as he zips around the car, letting Bella in and then getting behind the wheel. I hope we learn more about this Quicksilver thing he does soon. It's also about this point that I notice that while Edward shows up on page 173, he isn't actually named until page 175. It's just as well that we know Bella wouldn't be associating with any other guys otherwise this could be confusing!

Edward starts criticising Bella for not reacting when he tells her stuff. Then they have a little huffy moment when he moans at her. I'm not actually sure what they're having a snit about here.

When they start talking again Edward explains that the rest of the vampire clan rode with Rosalie in a red convertible which they don't normally use because it stands out. Edward has decided that since Bella knows about him there's little point in trying to blend in. Yeah, because as long as one person knows all your secrets, practically everyone knows all your secrets. Also, how do these teenagers afford these cars anyway?

Speaking of cars, Edward claims that they all like to drive fast. Why?! And why hasn't Bella's dad ever caught them?

Now that they're at school Jessica is able to return Bella's jacket and she's clearly bursting with questions. Perhaps the interrogation refers to Jessica's questioning of Bella; she obviously can't question her right now because Edward is right there.

Edward helpfully violates reads Jessica's mind to tell Bella what she wants to know – Jessica is wondering if Edward and Bella are dating and how Bella feels about him. And what's Bella's immediate response? She asks Edward what she should say. Uh, you're a big girl, I'm sure you can figure it out by yourself. Just because you're going out with him doesn't mean he needs to think for you.

He paused to catch a stray lock of hair that was escaping the twist on my neck and wound it back into place. My heart spluttered hyperactively.

'Spluttered hyperactively'? Spluttered hyperactively? I don't think I really need to say anything here.

Edward is all sorts of creepy in this chapter. Bella basically can't keep any secrets from him because he'll just read other people's minds to see what she's saying. Bella, when it comes to Edward, say nothing to anyone! And maybe stop dating him because he's a bit weird and controlling.

Time for more interrogations as Bella heads off to class to be ambushed first by Mike and then by Jessica:

"How did you get home so fast?"
"He drives like a maniac. It was terrifying." I hoped he heard that.

She really doesn't like the speeding either. She really needs to make a bigger deal about that, like refusing to get in the car with him when he does it.

I'm guessing that Jessica's pushing Bella for answers is the interrogation referred to in the chapter title. There's not much point in mentioning too much of this right now since we already know pretty much all of it.
Through all of this Bella is telling Jessica stuff that she wants Edward to know; she's hoping he'll read Jessica's mind and find it out. I don't think that this is the best way to encourage honesty and openness in a relationship. You know, she could try actually talking to him about the stuff she wants to know instead of expecting him to read her friend's mind.

"I do have some trouble with incoherency when I'm around him," I admitted.

And when you're not around him…

Conversation moves on to the Jessica and Mike situation until Jessica figures out the latest hot gossip: Bella's eating lunch with Edward!

"See you later, Bella." Her voice was thick with implications. I might have to turn off the ringer on the phone.

I think I'm missing something here. Why would Bella need to turn the phone ringer off? Oh, hang on! Will she be calling for gossip later. I think I get that. I hope I'm not the only one who didn't quite get it.

Edward gets a full tray of lunch to eat which is really weird because he doesn't actually eat. He's clearly a feeder. Bella wants to know what Edward would do if someone dared him to eat. He kind of dodges the question.

Also, I'm obviously right, the rest of the interrogation is happening over lunch.
I'm momentarily distracted by the fact that Bella takes a bite out of an apple and then switches to eating pizza. That's a bit weird. Am I the only one who finds that weird?

Their discussion is basically about what Bella said to Jessica. This mind-reading thing could put Bella in a difficult position if she goes off Edward and wants to break up; he could know right after she voiced her doubts to a friend. That's not good.

"You aren't precisely right, though. I do want to know what you're thinking – everything. I just wish… that you wouldn't be thinking some things."

Gee! Possessive and controlling much? It escalates from there with Edward getting kind of creepy and pushing Bella to answer a question about something she said to Jessica. He even gets annoyed with her again. He's such a jerk.

It's almost like they're arguing over who cares more for the other one. Bella raises some of the weird things he does that make her feel like he doesn't care for her, like all his weird behaviours. They're almost as bad as each other.

"I'm absolutely ordinary – well, except for bad things like all the near-death experiences and being so clumsy that I'm almost disabled…"

Because clumsy = disabled.

By this point I really have no idea what they're saying to each other now. This is pretty standard whenever Bella and Edward have a conversation. There is something about the trip to Seattle and Bella's accident-proneness. Oh and Edward wants to do something else (like suck on her neck, perhaps).

At least Bella is able to come clean about how scary Edward's driving is. Edward's shocked that this is the only thing about him that worries her. I agree with him for once. The scary driving is one thing, but it's just a tiny part of a much scarier whole.

He promises to show her what happens to him when it's sunny. Bella gets all excited and it almost feels like they're talking about something else. It's almost sweet until Edward starts getting all creepy again:

"Why in the world would I do that?"
His eyes were suddenly fierce. "To give me some small incentive to bring you back."

Funnily enough, Edward's creepiness doesn't really surprise me so much any more. He's all annoyed again now and I have kind of given up trying to keep track of his mood swings.

So the conversation turns to what Edward was up to when he was staying at Goat Rocks. They were there because Emmett likes bears and hunting is only out of season if you're using guns. Edward likes mountain lion best and this news pretty much renders Bella speechless.

Edward gives Bella a little ecology lesson about how they're careful to only go for overpopulated predators to keep from messing with the natural order of things. And he also makes it very clear that their weapons of choice are their teeth and super speedy powers. He promises Bella that she'll never have to see that:

"Is that something I might get to see?"
"Absolutely not!" His face turned even whiter than usual, and his eyes were suddenly furious. I leaned back, stunned and – though I'd never admit it to him – frightened by his reaction.

And of course, he promises it in the scariest, most aggressive way possible.

Which brings us to the end of the chapter. There's no more time for dismissing any more of the hows or whys because lunch is over. It's time to get back to class.

I'm glad we're finally getting more information but I can't help but feel like half the time Bella and Edward talk I don't actually know what they're saying. I'm not sure if it's me or them. Maybe I'm just getting old. Also why does Edward have to be constantly irritated/annoyed/frustrated with Bella. I'm the world's biggest shipper and this couple is not making me want to get my ship on!

So what questions have been raised by this chapter:


  • Are we going to get more questions and answers? Yes.
  • Why is the default chapter opening 'Bella wakes up'?
  • How do Edward and the gang afford their fancy cars?
  • Why are Edward and the gang such speed freaks?
  • Why have Edward and the gang never been caught speeding?
  • What is happening to a heart if it's spluttering hyperactively?
  • Why would Bella need to turn off her phone's ringer?
  • Why does Bella start by eating some apple and then switched to pizza at lunch time?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think. :-)