Friday 2 October 2015

Chapter-by-Chapter: New Moon Introduction

It took us a long time to reach the end, but I'm ready to move on to the next chapter in the Twilight Saga. That being New Moon. I can kind of see what she did with the title there.

But before we can get started properly, first of all I want to take a look at this book and see if I can figure anything out about the story before I begin. We used to have to do this with books in primary school and it's kind of fun to see how right you are (or as is probably going to be the case, how terribly, terribly wrong you get it).

First of all, let's look at the cover:

Uh, yeah. That's what my copy looks like. Except it's second hand so it's a bit yellow and grey as well. I picked up all of my books in the series from assorted charity shops in Oban, so they don't all match and two of them are from this set:


I've got both New Moon and Eclipse in this format. They've got the same pictures as the regular covers, but the title is only on the spine, not the front. And the edges of the books are red. This makes them look snazzy in the above pictures but the red seems to have bled onto some of the pages inside. Then again, maybe that was intentional to make it feel more real.

The back cover of the book is red and the blurb says:

New MoonI knew we were both in mortal danger.
Still, in that instant, I felt
well. Whole.
I could feel my heart racing in my chest, the blood pulsing hot and fast through my veins again. My lungs filled deep with the sweet scent that came off his skin.
It was like there had never been any hole in my chest. I was perfect - not healed, but as if there had never been a wound in the first place.

I've heard that in this book Edward leaves for a while, widely regarded by some as the best moment in the whole series. I'm guessing that's where the whole Team Edward/Team Jacob thing comes from. Is he going to go away and Jacob's going to spend more time with Bella?

The flower tells me absolutely nothing. Is someone going to give Bella a flower? That's probably about as deep as it gets. The flower does look as though it's been dipped in blood, perhaps there are some flowers involved in some sort of bloodbath. Then again, there was an apple on the cover of the last book and I don't recall anyone actually eating an apple.

The back of the book makes me wonder if perhaps Bella's actually going to get turned into a vampire in this one. We never actually saw the tracker die, perhaps he's going to come back and get her, so Edward has to turn Bella to save her.

There's only one way to find out.

I'll share my thoughts on the first chapter this time next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think. :-)