Saturday 6 April 2013

#atozchallenge - F is for Fears

This is kind of the partner to the Dreams post I made two days ago. While I spend a good portion of my time dreaming about the future, I also focus quite a bit of energy on worrying about it as well. Just as a word to the wise, I wouldn't recommend this approach, it's probably not very healthy.


I can't help it though, I've always been a worrier. As I've gotten older I've gotten over most of my old worries (though not that one about things lurking in the dark to get me, thank you Doctor Who), but the newer worries are big grown up sized ones.

I used to worry about there being a problem so that we couldn't get pregnant, that I'd have to have investigative procedures which involved strangers examining my ladybits, and that in order to get pregnant we'd have to go through a highly stressful and invasive process. I'm coming to realise that worrying about these things doesn't actually get you anywhere.

That said, I'm getting really good at facing my fears. Even the big scary ones don't bother me too much anymore (again, apart from the Doctor Who induced ones).

And each new hurdle we come up against introduces a whole new range of things to worry about; what if going private bumps us off the NHS list? (It won't) what if they find out there's something else wrong with me? (You deal with it if it happens) what if you get pregnant and something goes wrong? (Seriously, swelling on all the negative stuff is just tempting fate)!

When you're on this kind of a rollercoaster journey, you've got to stay positive; a little mope here and there is fine, but you can't let the big scary worries consume you because they've got big scary mates who'd love to tag along for the ride.



5 comments:

  1. An effective way to deal with predators is to taste terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes you just need to relax. It usually happens when you least expect it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping that'll be the case, it'd be a lovely surprise if it did. Unfortunately it's unlikely given the results from the tests, but I can still dream of a little miracle. ;-)

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  3. I am a terrible worrier too! I am starting a new job tomorrow and I am terrified and have no idea what to expect. However, I too have realised as I have grown up that if you expect the worse, it will often happen because of your negative state of mind! So I try hard to be positive and 'go with the flow'...

    Naomi @ Cornet Crafts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm not alone. I worry about lots of things too. I think staying positive about things definitely helps.

      Good luck with your new job, I like to know exactly what to expect from things and I felt much the same way about starting my new job. Hope it all goes well for you. :-)

      Delete

Let me know what you think. :-)