Thursday 18 April 2013

So my friend wrote this book, again

Last year I wrote a review about a funny little book called Weird Things Customers Say In Bookshops by an author named Jen Campbell. I actually know Jen through another site that I frequent and she is responsible for the numerous Book Trees I've been involved in. I've read her poems and stories but Weird Things is different to what she normally writes about.

You see, Jen works in a bookshop and sometimes people in her shop day some bizarre things. Enough to fill a book!



Enough to fill two book in fact! It would appear that people just can't help but come out with very weird things when they're in bookshops. More Weird Things Customers Say In Bookshops includes not only things people have said to Jen in her bookshop but also contributions from other booksellers around the world. Plus the icing on the cake which is some of the weird things people have said in bookshops when Jen is doing book signings for Weird Things!

I'll do a proper review of it a little later so watch out for that. In short though, it's very funny; if anything I think I enjoyed this more than the original Weird Things because I hadn't heard many of these ones before.

It's a nice quick read with cartoon illustrations by the Brothers McLeod. I honestly didn't want to put it down and read it in the car because I hadn't finished it on the way to work.

I think anyone who has to deal with the public can probably relate to these anecdotes, and I've probably been a bit of a weird customer myself occasionally.

More Weird Things Customers Say In Bookshops is out today, so why not head to your local bookshop and pick up a copy. And while you're there, find out what the weirdest thing someone's ever said to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think. :-)