Thursday 7 May 2015

Wreck This Journal: Colour This Entire Page

My Wreck This Journal is a Keri Smith book which I picked up last year. I'm slowly working my way through it, doing the odd page here and there. Every page has an instruction for you to creatively destroy it; some you can do in a single sitting, others take a long more time. And the beauty of it is, it's entirely up to you how to interpret the instructions.

The COLOUR THIS ENTIRE PAGE was one that I turned to one night when I was sitting in bed, doing some casual wrecking. I'd already poked holes in a page a few before it and so I had my pens beside me.

I'd come across this page a couple of times before but hadn't yet decided what to do with it. My original idea (a sort of doodle pattern across the page with the bits in between the doodles coloured in) was dismissed as being too similar to my plans for another of the pages in this book. So this page lay waiting.

But I had my felt pens beside me. (Yes, I'm nearly thirty and I still have felt pens, I've had these ones long enough for them to say Woolworths on the packet and this page just about killed them).

I decided to colour in this page:


Knowing that my poor old felt pens wouldn't last the entire page, this became a bit of a labour of love, over the space of about ten days. I'd work my way through the packet, scribbling with one colour until it started to wear out and then I'd move onto the next one.

I love the camouflage effect it created. I avoided the darker colours (beyond dark blue and green) so it's pretty bright and it's all happy-feeling. It's become one of my favourite pages.

I suspect I might repeat this somewhere else in the book at some point. Maybe with geometric shapes or something instead of scribbles.

How would you tackle this page?

6 comments:

  1. I think it looks like one of those online games where you keep clicking till everything's the same colour.
    Anabel's Travel Blog
    Adventures of a retired librarian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, I can see the resemblance. Those games are addictive. :-)

      Delete
  2. I love it. It turned out great. And is it awful that I'm over 40 and I still own crayons? (I believe I have three packs--the big ones.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not awful at all. I'm actually kind of jealous. I don't have any crayons. :-(

      Delete
  3. There is absolutely no problem with owning packs of felt tip pens nor of using them to do colouring (else I'm in BIG trouble!!) and I really like your idea - it reminds of Klee one of my favourite artists. I'm a bit of a spirally girl myself so I think this page might have ended up looking as if a hundred coloured snails had inhabited it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. :-)

      I'm glad I'm not alone in having lots of colouring supplies. I like your swirly idea too, I've got a similar idea for another page in the book.

      Delete

Let me know what you think. :-)