Thursday 10 October 2013

Dog School - How it went

So last night was Tara's first time at the dog training classes. As excited as I was, I was also a bit nervous too because Tara is full of beans and I was worried that she would embarrass me.

Considering it was not only her first time at the training class, surrounded by people she's never met before, not to mention being around more dogs than she's ever seen since we got her, she did really well.

I walked her from my in-laws' house to the Shinty Hut where the training sessions take place in the hopes of tiring her out. I like to think it worked, otherwise I'm sure she would've been one hundred and ten times more excitable!

When I arrived at The Meadows I was met by a bunch of dogs milling around off their leads and kind of panicked. This did not look like any sort of training class.

That's because it wasn't.

That was a group of people who walk their dogs together.

The actual training was inside the hut. And the dogs all stayed on their leads.

We walked round and round and round the hall, practicing various commands and making Tara walk to heel. We worked on sit and stay; the other dogs worked on lie down which Tara wasn't quite ready to do being somewhat distracted but she knows that command so we'll practice it this week.

All in all I was very impressed with how well she did at the class and I already feel more confident walking her.

I'm quite looking forward to next week now.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think. :-)