Monday 6 January 2014

Puff, Puff, Puffin'

Some time ago, while looking around Ravelry, I found a pattern called The Beekeeper's Quilt. It's a gorgeous looking hand-knit quilt made by knitting these little hexagonal pockets which are then stuffed and sewn together. It takes 384 of these little 'hexipuffs' to make a quilt for a double bed and it's a pattern I've been wanting to try for quite some time.


As I mentioned around a week ago, I was lucky enough to be gifted the Beekeeper's Quilt pattern on Ravelry. New Year's Eve I sat down and spend a good long time working on a hat that I'd decided to knit on a whim, finishing the actual knitting of it shortly after the bells rang in the New Year. Once I'd sewn it up on New Year's Day I didn't have any other knitting with me to work on, so I pulled up the PDF for the Beekeeper's Quilt and have been hexipuffin' away on and off since then.


My first little puff was done in the multi-coloured yarn that I used for the stripes on my first pair of knitted socks. It's nice and colourful and bright, perfect for the first day of the year. I'm trying to do at least one a day (on average) because if I can do two or three on some days that'll give me enough for a whole quilt by the end of the year.

They do knit up very quickly, the first one, which I did actually have to start over because I realised that I was missing the second round of the pattern and had just been doing the first all the way round, only took me about three quarters of an hour to do. And the longest bit was getting it started and finished, mainly because both require me to do something slightly different to what I've done before. Obviously I'll speed up as I get used to that.


I'll try not to spam my blog with too many hexipuff posts because I'm sure that it's not something that'll interest everyone, but I'll try and update regularly with my progress because I think it's going to be fun watching this grow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think. :-)