Saturday 25 May 2013

Liebster Award - Third Time Lucky

I've been nominated for the Liebster Award again, this time by Sidonie Helena at Sidonie Helena Reads (Thank you). Until I was nominated I hadn't actually checked out her blog, but as she spends a lot of time reviewing books I have a funny feeling that I'll be reading it regularly now. As if I needed any more excuse to add to my ever-growing to-read pile! Be sure to go visit her blog and say hi.


I'm getting to be a bit of a dab hand at these now, but I still enjoy doing them. I just had the Sunshine Award recently and I've done the Liebster a little while back as well, so I'll hold off nominating anyone else for them at the moment. If you're wanting to take part though, comment on this post and I'll edit this post with a link to your blog. ;-)

Just a recap in case you're not clear about what the Liebster Award is, it's for blogs with 200 followers or less and it comes with a few rules:

State 11 facts about yourself.Answer 11 questions posed by the blogger who nominated you.
Nominate up to 11 new bloggers for the Liebster Award. Go to their blogs and let them know.
Ask them 11 new questions.
Be sure to thank the blogger who nominates you with a link back to his or her blog.

It's getting trickier to come up with eleven new facts about myself, so I apologise if any of these are repeated from previous posts. What I decided to do for my facts this time around was to take my questions that I asked on my previous Award, so here goes:

1. Probably my best Halloween costume was when I was about eleven and I dressed up as a cat for a Halloween party at my St. John's Cadets. I wore black leggings and a black polo shirt with a tail made from a pair of tights. I think I might have worn black gloves as well. My Nanny put my hair in two plaits and then coiled them up on top of my head to make ears and then painted on a cat face for me as well. I looked awesome.

2. I love doing laundry. There's something immensely satisfying about watching a big bag full of dirty clothes turn into a neat pile of clean folded clothes. I'm less keen on the putting away portion of the laundry, but I do enjoy standing in the sun hanging washing out. It's one of the best things to do in summer.

3. I'm a reluctant iPhone user. I love what the iPhone allows me to do (we don't have internet in the house so it gives me a form of internet use so I can blog and keep up to date with my friends without the expense of getting a phone line put in and having a monthly fee for broadband on top of our mobile phones). I'm not a huge fan of the software though. iTunes seems sent to annoy me. This is probably due to my infrequent use of it so whenever I want to put music on the phone I have to spend half an hour trying to find out how to do it. I hate to admit, I'm never that far away from my phone.

4. The best thing I've ever knitted is this lady:
I love that she looks almost exactly the way that the picture with the pattern showed her looking. It was so fun to make all the little bits and then carefully follow the instructions to see them turn into something as if by magic. Of course I've now started knitting a Postman Hedgehog and so he might turn into my new 'best thing'.

5. I can't come up with a nickname for Mr Click, except for Mr Click and that's just a blog thing. Sometimes I call him Mr [actual surname] but he calls me 'Darling' but I can't seem to call him a pet name. I give my pets nicknames, hell, I even give my gadgets nicknames, but I can't seem to come up with one for my husband.

6. I could probably listen to nothing but Taylor Swift for the rest of my life. Recently I've taken to playing the Speak Now album on my phone while I take a shower (because her albums are louder than the other music on my phone so I can hear it while I'm in the bath). There is one song in particular, Mean, which is great fun to sing at the top of your voice.

7. The thing I'm most proud of at the moment is the fact that I seem to have overcome my phobia of the telephone. I used to be really nervous about making a phone call and would have to write out everything that I needed to say before I actually made the call. Now I'm not too bothered any more. I had to phone the tax people the other week (because of a major tax cock-up) and I wasn't phased at all. I just hope I don't relapse now.

8. I don't embarrass that easily. I tend to come out with stupid things and that can be a bit embarrassing, but I guess I'm so used to doing it now that it doesn't worry me too much anymore. I'm perfectly able to laugh at myself.

9. I would love to have a pet sheep. I've been lambing a couple of times and loved it. I wasn't squeamish in the slightest. I'd love to have a little patch of land with three or four sheep. That would be cool.

10. I quite enjoy taking part in blogging challenges. My first was the A to Z Challenge which ran throughout April. I've since discovered another one called Everyday in May which aims to post every day throughout May. I've not joined in on that one this time around but if it runs next year I might join in then. I've just joined the A to Z Roadtrip, which is more about visiting and commenting on other blogs, but I'm on my eye out for other challenges.

11. I've got really good at scheduling my blog posts. I like that it takes the pressure off me. I spend about an afternoon writing them and scheduling them, as well as a few minutes here and there every so often to add to posts and things. I'm amazed that I've got to the stage where I'm able to blog every day, I never imagined I could be that organised!

And now for my eleven questions from Sidonie Helena:
1. What is one thing that you can not live without?
Aside from my phone, my husband. Mr Click has been here for my through thick and thin and I know that he really loves me. I can tell him my secrets, even the really dorky ones, and he makes me happy in so many ways. I'm glad he's mine.

2. What was your least favourite subject in school?
Maths. It was never my strongest subject, even at primary school it was the one I had to work hardest at (which was hard for me because with lots of things I could just get them and Maths wasn't like that at all). I also had my confidence knocked by a very bad teacher; I injured my ankle and was on crutches for several months so the school wouldn't allow me to go upstairs due to health and safety issues so the teachers for classes upstairs were supposed to send work down to me, but my Maths teacher wouldn't, or would send things down without instructions. I ended up getting 26% on my end of year test and they weren't even going to enter me for my GCSEs.

It all worked out okay in the end though, we moved to Scotland, I had a great teacher who even ran afterschool study sessions for us and I got a 1 at Standard Grade. But I was very aware of my limits and didn't take it any further for a Higher. I'm a firm believer that it depends how things are taught that influence how much you enjoy them; when I was at University Maths became one of my favourite subjects!

3. Do you prefer talking on the phone or face to face?
As much as I'm enjoying getting over the phone phobia thing, I much prefer talking face to face. You get so many clues from people's body language that you just can't read when you're talking on the phone. Plus my job involves talking on the phone for pretty much most of the day, so it's nice to have conversations with people in the same room as you when you're not at work.

4. What is the last dream that you remember?
I had a dream about our trip to the Nuffield but that wasn't very clear. I vaguely remember seeing a nurse who looked like Carol from ER who was called Carol and Mr Click kept on saying that it was her, and I kept telling her off. They also wanted to ask us loads of questions that seemed to have no relevance to our IVF, like 'what was the ten digit code to get into this room?' Oh, and it seemed to be set in one of my old schools. The mind boggles!

5. Who is the most famous person you have met?
Probably Prince Charles. Everyone knows who that is. He was at the Tetbury Sack Races and me and my friend were able to get right to the front of the crowd and he shook our hands. Truth be told, being young teenagers, we were rather disappointed that William and Harry weren't there, hehe.

After that probably a toss up between Terry Pratchett and Status Quo, though how famous you'd say they were probably depends on your choice of reading material and music.

6. Where did you grow up?
For the first fourteen years of my life I lived in Yate, a little town on the outskirts of Bristol, whose main claim to fame was that the car crashes for Casualty were filmed on the 'Road to Nowhere' there. That's where I learnt to ride my bike.

Although you could probably class those as my formative years, I don't really think that I really grew up until I moved to Scotland when I was fourteen. I've been here for thirteen years now and I really feel more at home here than I did in England. I suppose it's just that I've learnt to be me rather than trying to fit in as a teenager. I still have a terrible West Country accent though (you just can't get rid of those things).

7. If you could live anywhere on earth, where would you live?
Here. I love living in Scotland. I love my little island. If I had to move I'd happily go North, or maybe to one of the smaller islands. Otherwise it would have to be North Yorkshire. Mr Click took me there on holiday the year we got married and I fell in love with the place. I could see myself retiring there.

8. What was the last thing you bought?
Technically this won't be the case because I'm writing this on Sunday to schedule to post on Saturday and I'm going shopping tomorrow so I'll have bought boring things like food then. Today (Sunday) I have ordered a couple of new bras because my favourite one has gone south (probably the wrong choice of words there considering the subject).

9. Your favourite film is...
Jack and Sarah. It's a rather old film now about a man whose wife dies in labour leaving him to raise their daughter alone. And then along comes an American nanny. It's cheesy as hell but it's got Richard E. Grant, Ian McKellen, Judi Dench and Eileen Atkins in it and you have to love a film with a cast like that.

10. Apple or PC?
Definitely PC. It's what I've grown up with and I just find things easier with it. I used to hate it when I ended up in the Apple lab at Uni because it took me twice as long to do anything. That said, Macs do have some cool software and I did used to play on a really old one (when I was much younger) at my Grampy's house. If someone gave me a Mac completely free I'd not turn it down, but I can't see myself buying one in the future any time soon.

11. Do you even like questionnaires?
I love questionnaires. I can quite happily waste hours answering questions like these. Plus sometimes you find that your answers aren't quite what you were expecting them to be.

And now for my questions, free to anyone who wants to take them ;-)
1. What is your favourite body part?
2. If you could have one superpower, what would it be?
3. What time did you wake up this morning?
4. If you could have been born in any year, what year would you choose to be born in?
5. Is there a story behind your name, why are you called what you are?
6. Did you ever had a den as a child? Describe it.
7. If you were only remembered for one thing, what would you like it to be?
8. Describe your most memorable date.
9. What would your perfect Saturday involve?
10. What is your favourite way to procrastinate?
11. I hand you a blank sheet of paper, what will you do with it?

If you feel like answering any of these questions, post a comment here and I'll link back to your blog in this post.

2 comments:

  1. I love that film- Jack and Sarah :) So touching.
    Also, I've been battling with phone-phobia my whole life- any tips?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's an old one but it's so, so good. ;-)

    As for the phone-phobia, the one thing that's helped me get over it is actually making phone calls. My job involved taking calls so that helped me to deal with that, plus I know what to say to the people who phone me (it's not knowing who's calling and what they're going to say that makes me feel anxious).

    At work I was asked to make some outgoing calls which I don't have to do very often, but after a couple of sessions of that I was feeling a lot braver. Again, I find it helps to know exactly what you're going to say and think of what some of the other person's responses might be so you can be sort of prepared.

    I like that my mobile tells me whose calling, if it's not a number I recognise then I won't answer it still. If they want something important, they'll leave a message and I can call them back.

    I think the more that I spoke on the phone, the easier it's become. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think. :-)