Thursday 10 July 2014

Day Zero Project: Make a list of all the books we own

This is one of those targets that I gave myself because I like the idea of having a nice little database of all my books so that when I’m looking at books in shops I’ll have an easy way to check and see if it’s a book I already have in my collection.


I have used my book journal in the past to keep a record of some of the books that I own, so putting the last three volumes of book journals together gives me a pretty good list of some of the books in my collection. As does my handy To Read list on here. Part of the reason why I listed books in this way was to keep track of which order they were to be read in (like the Discworld series) or to have a note of which ones I still needed to buy (like the Edge Chronicles series).

But that nice big database is still eluding me. Perhaps because it’s going to be a massive job to actually catalogue all my books and then maintain it. It’s kind of a logistical nightmare because I wouldn’t just be able to list the book title and author because some books, *cough*LordoftheRings*cough*, exist on my bookcase in multiple editions. I’d need to come up with a way to list all of those.

And in doing that I’d want to find pictures of all of them.


Besides, there’s already websites for that. I’m even a member of two of them; GoodReads and LibraryThing. It’s just a question of actually sitting down and feeding all the information into them. Hopefully now that I’ve finished my course I might have the time to actually get on top of this.

How do you keep track of all the books you own?

2 comments:

  1. I could actually do this now since we gave away nearly all of our books when we left the country. Now all the books we own are on the Kindle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I don't have a clue what I have on my Kindle, I quite often realise I've downloaded books but have no recollection of getting them. I really need to be more organised.

      Delete

Let me know what you think. :-)