Sunday 27 July 2014

Weekly Rundown: The Attila Edition

I very nearly posted this on Thursday but I decided against it for two reasons. Firstly, Vodafone has been rubbish about actually letting us have mobile internet access so my connection at home has been virtually non-existent for much of this week (as well as a fair bit of last week as well) and secondly, I had to wait a few weeks for this news so I figured nobody would mind waiting a couple more days. Oh, and Mr Click (and I) also shared it with lots of our friends on Facebook already…

I passed my course!!!

Not only that but…

I got a Grade 2!!!

And as if that wasn’t enough. It means that over all…

I’ve got a 2.1!!!

I’m not sure how that compares for my friends in America, but basically in UK universities you get different degree classifications for an Honours degree. The top grade is a First, then you get an Upper Second Class, Lower Second Class and a Third which are designated by the numbers 1, 2.1, 2.2 and 3. These have comical little nicknames, like a Lower Second Class is known as a Desmond (as in Tutu) and mine is affectionately known as an Attila (as in the Hun), hence this week's subject.

To say I’m thrilled is a bit of an understatement.

I found out on Thursday at work, after learning that a colleague who’s been studying with the OU had got his results. Literally could not stop smiling all day when I looked it up and saw the Grade 2 result. I’d been hoping for a Grade 3, considering this was a Level 3 course and so is relatively tougher than the Level 2s (where I averaged Grade 2 passes).

There’s a nifty little site with an Open University classification calculator and I knew from that I’d probably be looking at a Second Class of some sort. I was luckily enough to get a Distinction in my U211 course which basically allowed me to get two Grade 3 passes through my degree and still get a Lower Second Class. Imagine my joy when I punched in my results and saw that the Grade 2 pass had earned me a 2.1.

I was still a little sceptical about that until I got home and checked a different part of the OU site and discovered that I had in fact earned a 2.1. All that hard work was definitely totally worth it and I’m proud to say that I did it whilst working as well. I passed my first degree (at ‘brick’ university) but I tend to look down on that one because of the circumstances that led to me switching from a B.A. (Hons) to a straightforward B.A., this one I’m really pleased with.

Although if too many more people congratulate me I won’t be able to get my big fat head through the door at work this week!

I’ve been showered with gifts and treats too. I’ve got a shiny new Samsung camera winging its way to me as I a type. My little compact one has needed replacing for about a year now as it’s really showing its age and this new toy has been my incentive to succeed for the last three or so essays. I’ve also had a lot of cake, some lovely cards and some new socks (not technically a celebration present but still, presented to me after I passed so I’m counting them as a gift).

I’m finally able to spend my gift voucher my colleagues got me for my birthday – it’s going towards a case and new camera card for the aforementioned new toy. And I’m feeling a slight sense of relief because we’d already booked the hotel and tickets for the graduation ceremony as well as buying new outfits for it. Now we can get the transport sorted and I’m also getting a trip to the zoo into the bargain as well.


Anyone up for a little blog celebration with me? *hands out cake and alcohol*

1 comment:

Let me know what you think. :-)