Thursday 17 July 2014

Day Zero Project: Make a list of all the videos, DVDs & blu-rays we own

Like making the list of all the books in the house, this one is yet to come to fruition. Theoretically it shouldn't be that difficult to sit down and make a list of what we've got on the bookcase in the front lobby, the cupboard in the living room and with the Christmas decorations upstairs (we keep our Christmas films with our Christmas decorations and then they only come out at the end of November when we're ready to start watching them all. We've got almost forty so it saves a lot of space on the DVD shelves that way).

In fact, it's a lot easier to do because the videos (yup, we still have a few of those old things), DVDs and blu-rays are a lot more easily accessible than the books in the house. I suspect that I have a lot more books than viewing material, and I certainly don't have any that are only in an electronic form so I don't have to worry about that muddying my OCD organisation.

It's just that to do this would be ridiculously time consuming. I collect the Disney Movie Rewards Points and I still have a whole bunch of films on the shelf that I've not redeemed the points for. It's not like it's so hard to just sit down every once and a while and rattle through three or four codes, I just have a tendency to get distracted by more pressing things. Like knitting bright orange moustaches for my colleagues.

That's not to say that I don't have some lists. I have a lovely list, divided happily in two, called Christmas Films and Not-Quite Christmas Films which I refer to each year (adding new films as we get them). The latter list are the films with a Christmassy feel that you can watch before the start of December (like Love, Actually, Ballet Shoes and Nightmare Before Christmas - my way to kick off the Christmas countdown, at Halloween before watching films like the other two listed).


It would definitely be handy to have a more comprehensive list somewhere though. Preferably shared on Google Docs with Mr Click so when we're in a charity shop independently of each other and we spot a good film we'd like to add to our collection, we can check to see if it's one we already have. I have a freakishly good memory and could quite easily rattle off every Disney film in our collection, but this is only useful if I'm in the shop at the same time as the person debating whether or not to pick up a particular film.

And while I have a freakishly good memory for individual films and TV series, it's a little less specific on the latter. I know that we have some series of Bones, Without a Trace, CSI and House but I always need to double check which series we've got up to. Actually, that's a little bit of a lie. I've checked on Bones and House enough times to know now (for the record it's two series of Bones and three of House).

It's probably something I'll get around to with time. Especially as I'm looking for ways to fill my evenings now I'm not devoting all my time to hitting the books. Is there anything out there like LibraryThing for keeping track of your collections? I need to look into this!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think. :-)