Tuesday 18 April 2017

#atozchallenge Letters to my Embryos: O is for Optimism

Welcome to Day 15 of the A to Z Challenge, an April blogging challenge where you aim post every day during the month following the letters of the alphabet (with every Sunday bar the last one off).

In the past I've used the challenge to blog about my infertility and the IVF process. I'm following a similar theme this year as we wait to begin the process for a Frozen Embryo Transfer, having completed a Freeze All IVF cycle in February.

We currently have nine embryos sitting on ice, my little bubbles, and this April I am blogging to them about the process of how they came to be.



Dear Bubbles,

There are lots of things that I hope you inherit from us; my love of reading, your father's love of music, a desire to learn, a desire to creative new things. But I'm singling out one in particular today, optimism.

I'm hopeful that you will grow up with a glass which is always half full, able to look on the bright side, and able to see the best in people. I hopeful that we'll be able to instill that sense of optimism in you. I'm not sure that optimism is something that can be transmitted to you in the womb, like resistance to certain illnesses, but I'm going to give it a go.

It's funny, you'd think that trying for over nine years to bring you into our lives would dull our optimism somewhat, but I think if anything is has only made it stronger. The truth is, I'm not sure we would have made it through all the tests and procedures without a fair helping of optimism. Optimism that this time it would work, that this time we would get to bring you home.

I'm truly optimistic that one day you will read these letters. And it will probably seem strange to you, having been on earth for all those years, very much here and present, that there could have ever been a doubt that you would exist. It's strange to think of the world as a place without you.

But believe me, we lived in it, but we were always hopeful that you would live in it too. One day.

All my love,

Your Mum.

Today we're actually off to Glasgow to start the process to thaw out at least one of our Bubbles and hopefully bring them home next month. Keep your fingers crossed everyone!

5 comments:

  1. Crossing everything and hoping your optimism is fulfilled.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending positive thoughts and hope to you in your journey, Cait! I love this idea. Optimism, I've discovered, is impossible to teach, but also impossible not to model. If you are optimistic, your kids will have the ultimate teacher.
    ----------

    Eli@CoachDaddy

    O is for One Day From Payday Spicy Skillet Chicken

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you weren't optimistic, you would have given up long ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I am so hoping for you and whatever life brings I am quite sure that it is better to be optimistic in life than not. As for your hope that optimism is transferable I certainly believe that - I made sure my children "inherited" this from me as their father can be a little "glass half empty" at times!!!
    http://pempispalace.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/p-is-for-popular-people.html

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think. :-)