Tuesday 25 April 2017

#atozchallenge Letters to my Embryos: U is for Unicorns

Welcome to Day 21 of the A to Z Challenge, an April blogging challenge where you aim post every day during the month following the letters of the alphabet (with every Sunday bar the last one off).

In the past I've used the challenge to blog about my infertility and the IVF process. I'm following a similar theme this year as we wait to begin the process for a Frozen Embryo Transfer, having completed a Freeze All IVF cycle in February.

We currently have nine embryos sitting on ice, my little bubbles, and this April I am blogging to them about the process of how they came to be.



Dear Bubbles,

You might have noticed that, along with my thing for rainbows, is that I've got a bit of a thing for unicorns. And that's all because of you.

Unicorns are a bit of a symbol for people undergoing fertility treatments. the saying to 'chase unicorns' means going after the impossible, and let's face it, that's what we were doing when we underwent treatment to bring you into the world. We were told that the likelihood of achieving a successful pregnancy was slim to none. Sounds like we were chasing unicorns to me.

By the same token then, if a person who was told they couldn't possibly get pregnant and then they do (even if it took a lot of time, money and professional help to get there), you might say that they've caught that unicorn they were chasing for so long.

And that's why they became a symbol of something bigger than ourselves during treatment.

Your Dad got me a little stuffed unicorn, with a rainbow mane, who came to all of our appointments as a good luck charm. Each time we went to an appointment and it went well or things turned out better than we were expecting, we knew that Ixi had done his bit.

When I picked out slippers to wear to theatre, the ones I selected were unicorn-themed. We played spot the unicorn when we were out shopping, or watching TV, or surfing the internet. Other people got in on it too; sending unicorn-themed gifts and surprises.

Did it help any? Well, if you're here, perhaps it did. It didn't hurt, and spotting unicorns isn't a bad pastime.

And if it seems especially superstitious, well, forgive us for our quirks. I'm sure you'll have a whole host of your own too; you are my kid after all!

All my love,

Your Mum.

8 comments:

  1. It is nice to share such passions, I wonder what my child will know of me.

    http://sagecoveredhills.blogspot.com/2017/04/u-is-for-ursa-major.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know that--about unicorns and chasing the impossible. Of course. Miracles happen, as does the impossible. We just have to notice it.

    Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had not heard of chasing unicorns before.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing the little things that make up each different reality. I would never have known about unicorns and infertility treatments if I hadn't read your piece.
    Finding Eliza

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes - If I'd had to guess I would have said you would post U for Unicorn and why not? There are much worse things to chase and nothing quite as fabulous to behold :)
    http://pempispalace.blogspot.co.uk/2017/04/u-is-for-uniformity.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is nothing wrong with a unicorn obsession. I truly hope you catch your unicorn(s)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a feel good part. I hope you catch your unicorn soon enough😀

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think. :-)