Tuesday 4 March 2014

Book 54 of 2013: How To Think Like Sherlock by Daniel Smith

Way back last October, as I was gearing up for NaNoWriMo and congratulating myself on finding a slow cooker which would make the perfect Christmas gift for my husband, I spotted How To Think Like Sherlock in the Book People magazine. As I was needing to put an order together to buy Mr Click a slow cooker cook book I decided to treat myself to what looked like a fun little read.


This little book purports to be able to help you improve your powers of deduction, in the style of the great detective himself, Sherlock Holmes. It's actually more like a brain training type book with links back to Sherlock Holmes through extracts from the source material and quizzes that tie into Sherlock's cases.

It was a quick and fun little read. I started it one day and finished with it the next. It reminded me a lot of the Horrible Science/Horrible Histories/The Knowledge books that I used to enjoy when I was younger. The book is peppered with little logic puzzles and brain training exercises which means it's more of the sort of book you'd play with on a long journey, than something to read before bed at night.

It wasn't quite what I was expecting, although to be fair, the Book People catalogue doesn't give you much to go on. I was kind of expecting something that would look in greater details about how Sherlock Holmes would've gone about deducing things and solving crimes. But then again, you can't expect much from a book which is only 192 pages.

I realised afterwards that it would've made a perfect little stocking filler for Mr Click. If I hadn't been so open about reading it in front of him I could have snuck a little peak and then hidden it away for a stocking filler, hehe.

Although I read through it quite quickly I think that at some point it might be fun to return to it and actually go through the puzzles, maybe like I said above if I'm on a long journey or something. I did some of them while I was reading it, but others would benefit from a paper and pencil to help figure them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think. :-)