Friday 12 April 2013

#atozchallenge - Knowledge

There’s a saying about how too much knowledge can be a dangerous thing. In the modern internet age where you can access thousands of pages of Google results at the press of a button, it can also be a scary, alarming and overwhelming thing.


It’s so easy these days to just type in a search term and then sift through all the results to find something that’s relevant to what you’re actually looking for. When we started trying for a family, Google was one of the first places I went to, it’s not really the sort of thing you bring up with your own family and I wanted to find people who were in the same situation as me. Google delivered, but it also gave me access to loads and loads of information that was just not relevant at all. At first it can be really hard to work out what information you can use and what you can discard.

I’m the sort of person who likes to have lots of information; I feel like the more knowledge I have about something, the better prepared for it I am. So of course I’ve read books about what we should and shouldn’t be doing, how we should change, things we should eat, things we should avoid. I feel like I’m a walking encyclopaedia on infertility problems now.

Particularly with the IVF, I’ve read up quite a bit to help myself prepare mentally for it, but I’ve hit a point where I’m trying not to read much more. I’m waiting until we actually start it so that the hospital can tell us what’s going on and why. I’m sure they’ll keep us informed and as it progresses I’ll no doubt end up looking up more facts on Dr. Google.

There’s nothing worse than going onto Google and finding scary information and not having anyone to check it with, hence my reluctance to read too much more at the moment. But all the same, I like to be prepared. It’s just a question of finding the right balance between not enough and way too much!

2 comments:

Let me know what you think. :-)