Friday 18 April 2014

#atozchallenge: P is For...

The end is almost in sight now! I’m quite pleased that I’ve managed to make it this far.

Pokarekare Ana – Hayley Westenra



This was one of the first songs I heard by Hayley Westenra and I think it’s one of the things that really drew me into the rest of the album. It was at the time that I was loving all things Lord of the Rings, and as the films were made in New Zealand then that was of great interest to me as well. I’d been interested in New Zealand from the age of about nine but it wasn’t until Lord of the Rings that I really learned anything about the Maori history and culture. When I heard this song I wanted to know what it was all about and that drew me in to learning more. I also always remember listening to the end credits music at the end of Billy Connolly’s World Tour of New Zealand and finding I could sing along to it but didn’t know how I knew the words… then discovering it was a different version of Pokarekare Ana.

The Prettiest Thing – Norah Jones



Yet another Norah Jones song from the album I listened to whilst I was originally writing Behind the Scenes. This is another song that conjures up images of journeys and days spend enjoying the sun. The gentle music and soft lyrics mean that it’s the perfect thing to listen to while you’re doing other things (like writing).

Perfect 10 – Beautiful South



I like most of the stuff done by the Beautiful South but this is among my favourite. I just like the message it conveys, especially as I first heard it around the time I was starting to get teen magazines and be bombarded by images of these ideal women, none of whom looked like me. It makes me smile now, because I tend to go up a size in clothes because I like my jeans to be a bit loose, and I still don’t look anything like those women in those magazines.

Picture – Kid Rock & Sheryl Crow



I don’t remember what prompted me to get a Sheryl Crow album but I know I had at least one by the time I was on my teaching placement in the Highlands and I know that this was one of the songs on it. I wasn’t really familiar with Kid Rock at the time but I fell in love with the song and promptly added it to my Songs With Stories playlist. It’s about a couple who have split up but who are struggling to get over each other, and although I’ve not seen it on any fan mixes there are certain TV couples who make me think of this song. In just over a week’s time we’ll be heading back up that way and I’ve made sure that this song has made it onto the mix we’ll be travelling with.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think. :-)