Friday 11 April 2014

The Beep!

Friday night last week I was working on my OU, determined to get it finished so I could take the Saturday off before getting stuck into my next assignment, when I heard a beep! This was followed a little while later by another beep!

I didn't think too much of it at the time. I didn't hear it again for most of the evening. Until bedtime. I was lying in bed and there it was again. Beep!

The following morning it was becoming more insistent. You'd get a beep! followed by about a minute of silence, then beep! then a break of about ten or fifteen minutes, then beep!

It was like a slightly more high-pitched version of the beginning of the Potter Pals: The Mysterious Ticking Noise, but decidedly less musical!

 
 
By this point I'd identified the sound as having coming from our smoke detector outside the bedroom door. This made sense because a) I'd heard it whilst in the bedroom and in the living room and this detector is in between both rooms, b) we thought the battery was probably due to be changed soon, and c) the smoke detector upstairs outside the bathroom had done something similar a couple of months ago, something which was solved by changing its battery.

I informed Mr Click of this before he got breakfast. He's at a slight advantage, his hearing loss prevents him from hearing certain frequencies; the annoying beep! emitted from a dying smoke detector is one of them. At least he agreed that it was probably the detector I thought it was and agreed to get a battery and fix it for me.

Until I went to the loo and thought for a moment that the beep! was coming from the extractor fan in the bathroom. Then logic overruled this and I realised it was in fact the smoke detector outside the bathroom doing it. Yes, the one which only had its battery changed a mere two months before hand was taunting me again.

Now it didn't do its beep! thing constantly. It'd beep! a few times over about five or ten minutes and then stop for an hour or so... and just when you'd been lulled into a false sense of security, then it'd beep! again!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what you think. :-)