Wednesday 16 April 2014

#atozchallenge: N is For...

Never Ever – All Saints



Ironically enough, after making my list of songs I was going to write about for the A to Z Challenge this song actually came up in conversation amongst some of my word colleagues who are of a similar age to myself. I remember it being on the music channels all the time when I was about eleven and twelve. It was a time when I was just deciding what sort of music I liked myself. When my cousins came to stay we used to put this on the jukebox at the local pub all the time. It’s not really the sort of thing I would listen to now, but hearing it still takes me right back to being twelve years old and reminds me of all the things that interested me back then.

Not Ready To Make Nice – Dixie Chicks



If nothing else, this challenge is certainly showing who my favourite singers are. I keep on noticing the same names coming up over and over again. I was interested in this song from the start because it is obviously about the aftermath of the whole controversy surrounding comments made about George W. Bush. It wouldn’t have been one I’d classed as a favourite back then, but the more I’ve listened to it the more it’s grown on me. The lyrics are very powerful, particularly in the fourth verse when you realise that they’re hitting out against the death threats they received.

Never Saw Blue – Hayley Westenra



This one always reminds me of when I was first going out with Mr Click. We often went out for walks and picnics and usually had a Hayley Westenra CD in the car (because it was one that we both shared). Listening to this song makes me think of the days spent sitting in the sun at the beach, or out on a rock by the sea, enjoying whatever nice food Mr Click had packed up for us, and sunning ourselves in the nice weather. It was on one of those trips that we got ourselves matching sunburned noses and everyone at our drama group knew we were going out… even if we didn’t actually know that ourselves quite then!

2 comments:

  1. Love Never Ever. Obviously I'm older than you, but hearing it - like you - I'm instantly transported back to a different time. Think I was about 19/20

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a huge fan of all their stuff but two of their CDs were the first ones I had for my first walkman. I love how certain songs take to right back in time.

      Delete

Let me know what you think. :-)