Friday 25 April 2014

#atozchallenge: V is For...

I can’t believe how close to the end I am now! And how many songs I came up with for the letter V, I was sure that this would be a much smaller selection, in fact the one thing that prevented it from being longer was not being able to find YouTube versions of some of the songs!

Vincent (Starry Starry Night) – Don McLean



I’m not sure when exactly it was that I first heard this song, but I do remember I’d always known it only as Starry Starry Night and it came as quite a jolt when I suddenly realised it was actually about Vincent van Gogh. I think the lyrics are really clever, literally painting a picture of his troubled life. Back when Matt Smith took over the role of the Doctor in Doctor Who and paid a visit to Vincent van Gogh I found myself listening to this song over and over again because a couple of fanvideos cropped up. I ended up looking up more of his artwork and about his life as well. I love it when a song can trigger me to look into something in greater detail.

Voices – Triniti

No video sadly but I like it enough to include it anyway.
Here's a link to the lyrics.

I remember listening to some songs of this album but not really paying attention to them that much until one day when I was at university and I had my mp3 player on random play all. It’s funny how vividly I can remember certain things, like where I was when I first heard a song. This one was when I’d gone to the toilets to wash my hands. It came on and something about it made me feel really happy. I couldn’t help but smile as I listened to it. Listening to it again and again I realised it’s a song about music, there are loads of little references to things like melody and keys whilst the actual song is about going on a journey. It’s quite clever.

The Vicar and the Frog – Fred Wedlock



I was really torn about including this one here, because it’s kind of inappropriate but it’s also quite clever in the way that it starts off like a fairy tale but then changes abruptly at the very last minute. And also because the other Fred Wedlock song I was going to use for the letter V, the Village Production of Hamlet, isn’t available on YouTube.

2 comments:

  1. I love Vincent by Don MacLean. A good song does it every time for me. By the same token American Pie by Don MacLean is one of those songs that I know all the words to without having to try too hard. It just gets in your head and that's it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, I love American Pie as well. It's another of those songs with a story to it which I just love.

      Delete

Let me know what you think. :-)