Tuesday 8 April 2014

#atozchallenge: G is For...

Just the one for today. It’s funny how I had loads and loads of songs for the letter B but haven’t had many to choose from for the letter G.

Goodbye Earl – Dixie Chicks



Back when the Dixie Chicks caused a whole furore with their comments about Bush my dad bought their CD, Not Ready To Make Nice. I don’t think it was quite his style because somehow it ended up in my collection. I loved it and on my next trip to HMV I bought Wide Open Spaces and then later the Top of the World Tour CD which features Goodbye Earl.

It’s one of those songs that I didn’t quite realise they were singing about what they were singing about until a second or third hearing. It’s made pretty explicit when you watch the video; it’s about a woman who is abused by her husband and so gets together with her best friend from school to kill him. And they do a funky dance to celebrate. Bonus points if you can spot all the people from TV series in the video.

2 comments:

  1. I think they maybe imply he turned into a Zombie and is planning to return and eat their brains in the sequel . . . . I may be wrong.

    Rob Z Tobor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read about someone writing a follow-up to this song, I'll have to look it up.

      Delete

Let me know what you think. :-)