Wednesday 9 April 2014

#atozchallenges: H is For...

Humble Me - Norah Jones


 
I mentioned that Closest Thing to Crazy by Katie Melua was the song that summed up the story I wrote when I was seventeen (and am still working on over ten years later). Well, Norah Jones's two albums released at that time were my background music while I was writing it. I think I drew inspiration from the way that many of her songs seem to tell stories and Humble Me definitely has a story behind it; about a young woman breaking down at the side of the road with her daughter in the car and considering making contact with her ex. It's one of those songs you can enjoy on two levels, listening to the music or listening to the words.
 
Hallelujah - Rufus Wainwright
 

 
I know that Lenard Cohen is the definitive version of Hallelujah but as I mentioned the other day when I was in Halls at Uni I had a limited collection of CDs, one of which was the Shrek soundtrack, which features the Rufus Wainwright version of the song. I spent many nights lying on the floor of my room studying (I thought better down there rather than at my desk) listening to this song, so it just makes me think of that. I will admit it was one of those songs that used to distract me from studying and I should probably publicly apologise to my neighbours who had to listen to me wailing along with it late at night.

Hine e Hine - Hayley Westenra



This was on a CD that belonged to my Grampy but which he let me borrow occasionally and which I took down south with me when I visited a friend for Easter when I was at University. It's a lovely gentle song and it really relaxed me when I was on the plane flying down there.

It was also a CD which Mr Click had in his car when we first started hanging out together. Whenever we went out for a drive we listened to 'a bit of Hayley', it was something we had in common right from the very start. And once again, being in Maori, it's easy for me to use as background music when I'm doing something I should be concentrating on because I don't get as easily distracted by the words... even though I know it well enough that I can sing along to bits of it now!

 

2 comments:

  1. I love 'Hallelujah" but my favorite is by Jeff Buckley, and Rufus' is a close second.

    Good luck on the rest of your #AtoZ - I linked to you on my post http://www.e-bookbuilders.com/2014/04/indie-isnt-easy/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the visit and for the link. :-D

      Delete

Let me know what you think. :-)